Sunday, September 4, 2011

Epilepsy is NOT funny.

     I make jokes about being epileptic from time to time- because I am. Or sometimes if one of my friends does something laughable or idiotic I might say, "Are you having a seizure?", but the fact remains that it's one of the leading neurological disorders in the country. And it's not easy to live with, not in the least. 
     For the most part I live a very comfortable life, but there's so many things other people age can do that I can't. If I had to name one thing off the top of my head, it would be driving. I see all these sixteen year old kids in their fancy cars, and I'm filled with a seething jealousy. When I was sixteen, you know what I was doing? I was lying in a hospital bed at United Hospital with wires protruding from my head. Not to mention that I had to sell my tickets to a Tokio Hotel concert that will probably never happen again. 
     As I've gotten older and gained a greater understanding of my disability, it's gotten easier for me to see how many people are so ignorant of it. I'm becoming an adult now and I've to deal with a whole host of other problems. A lot of them relating to the United States Government. It's been at least a year since I've applied for Social Security and Disability benefits. And guess what? I still haven't gotten them. My mother had to hire an attorney, and I have a court date. Even with that, I still feel like I haven't made any progress. Not to mention being nineteen and still living at home. THAT is frustrating. It's like I'm trapped. If there are any other epileptics out there, my age or other, who could help me- or even just share your experience with epilepsy, please reach out. Send an email or something. I would love to know someone like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment